At St Scholastica’s Catholic Primary School we use the RWI scheme to teach phonics in early years and KS1. Read Write Inc (RWI) is a phonics complete literacy programme which helps children learn to read fluently and at speed so they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling.
All children are assessed regularly by our teachers and put into groups. This allows complete participation in lessons and quick progression.
Children will be introduced to the initial sounds in short five minute sessions.
In Reception all children will learn how to ‘read’ the sounds in words and how those sounds can be written down. Those who are ready will begin to read and write simple words within books.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts – see guide below
- learn to read words using Fred talk and sound blending
- read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
- work well with partners
- develop comprehension skills in stories by answering ‘Find It’ and ‘Prove It’ discussion questions.
- learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
- learn to write words by using Fred Talk
- learn to build sentences by practicing sentences out loud before they write.
- They work in pairs so that they:
- answer every question
- practice every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking and reading to each other
- develop ambitious vocabulary.
Year 1 and Year 2
Children follow the same format as Reception but will work on complex sounds and read books appropriate to their reading level. Daily sessions of RWI phonics last for 45 minutes. Children also do literacy lessons to develop the writing skills and Daily Supported Reading sessions to develop their comprehension skills further.